Village Timeline

July 17, 1869A.T. Stewart purchases 7,000 acres of the Hempstead Plains in cash at $55 an acre.


1872 - Cathedral of the Incarnation cornerstone laid.


1873 - First planned commercial area built, east side of Hilton between

Long Island Rail Road and Seventh Street.

1874 - First Garden City Hotel built.

1876 - A.T. Stewart’s death.


1876 – The Waterworks opens, Stewart’s planned municipal water system.


1876-1892 – Cornelia Stewart completes building of the Cathedral of the Incarnation and St. Paul’s School as a tribute to Stewart.

1878 - Stewart’s corpse stolen from St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery

and held for ransom.

1885 – The Casino and Tennis Club opens to out-of-town Cathedral worshipers;

in 1895, transformed by Stanford White into a clubhouse.


1895 – The second Garden City Hotel opens.

1898 - War Department establishes Camp Black to mobilize New York regiments for Spanish American War. These troops helped secure victory in Cuba and Puerto Rico. Described as bounded on the north by Old Country Road, on the west by Clinton Road, and on the south by the Central Line rail.


1899 – Second Garden City Hotel burns down.

1899 - Midland Golf Course opened (private -9 holes short-lived ) : location Second to Fourth Street / Rockaway to Hilton, clubhouse on Hilton moved to 105 Fourth St, private home.


1900 – Governor Theodore Roosevelt lays the cornerstone for the newly minted Nassau County Court House (now the Theodore Roosevelt Executive and Legislative Building) at Franklin Avenue and Old Country Road.


1901 – Third Garden City Hotel, designed by McKim, Mead and White, opens.

1902 - U.S. Open Golf Championship held at the Garden City Golf Club.

Scotsman Laurie Auchterlonie sets a 72-hole U.S. Open record to win by six

strokes over Stewart Gardener and Walter Travis (an amateur and Garden City

resident). Travis would go on to become one of America’s leading

golf course designers.

1902 – First grammar school established at the site of the current

GC Schools Administration Building.


1905 - Garden City Estates area purchased by Timothy Woodruff, developer of Jamaica Estates.


1906 - Gage Tarbell, master marketer, joins Woodruff.


1907 – GC Garage at Franklin and Seventh Street built to service cars in the Vanderbilt Cup Races and to park vehicles of guests at Garden City Hotel. Chauffeurs slept in rooming house across Seventh Street (now Leo’s Restaurant & Bar).


1907 – Garden City Estates Corporation (Timothy Woodruff and Gage Tarbell)  buys everything west of St. Paul's from Garden City Company.  This would then be known as the separate village of Garden City Estates. Woodruff, a former Lt. Governor of New York, had just completed developing Jamaica Estates and had previously helped found Adelphi College in Brooklyn (which would later move to Garden City). Tarbell had just been ousted from #3 post at Equitable after Hyde costume ball scandal in 1905.

1908 - LIRR ‘s Hempstead Branch, running through Garden City, becomes LIRR's first electrified line.

1908 – Washington Avenue Airfield, one of the first airfields in America, sees Glenn Curtiss fly the "Golden Flyer" and the "Golden Bug". These flights won Curtiss the Scientific American Trophy. The "Golden Bug" was named for a saloon and boarding house near the Mineola railroad station, which would become headquarters for the N.Y. Aeronautic Society (N.Y. Aero Club).


1908Long Island Motor Parkway built through Garden City, temporary shack handles tolls.

1910 Timothy Woodruff, president of both the GC Estates and the N.Y. Aero Club, develops the sophisticated Nassau Boulevard Aerodrome, in the newly formed Estates Section, to encourage aviation and promote flying schools. The airfield and the golf course (now the Garden City Country Club), spearheaded by Gage Tarbell, designed to promote sales to fellow aviation buffs and golfers.

1910 - With New York City's East River tunnel completed and transportation to Long Island assured, the small publishing house of Doubleday, Page and Company movs it's operations to Garden City, a first city-to-suburb move, and occupies 40 acres on the east side of Franklin Avenue south of Sixth Street. The plant, designed by Kirby and Petit to resemble Hampton Court in England, is surrounded by landscaped gardens. Doubleday continues in operation to varying degrees at this location until it is sold to the West German firm of Bertelsmann in 1986. On August 19, 1910, the cornerstone was laid by former President Theodore Roosevelt.

1910 - The Clinton Road railroad station, built for the newly developed eastern section of Garden City, operates a trolley car which shuttles passengers to and from the Garden City station. During World War I, the little depot plays a new role as telegraph and paymaster station for the soldiers at Camp Mills.

1911- The Second International Aviation Meet, a multi-day event and attracted large crowds of spectators, is held at the Nassau Boulevard Aerodrome.


1911Earle Ovington, a Garden City resident, flies the first air mail flight, in a Blériot Aéronautique monoplane, from Nassau Boulevard Aerodrome to the Mineola Post Office ( three miles), during the Second International Air Show. Also, just after that show, first aerial movie is filmed, ‘ The Military Air-Scout.

1911 – William K. Vanderbilt’s Long Island Motor Parkway runs from Hillside Avenue in Queens to Lake Ronkonkoma. The tollhouse built on  Clinton Road (now the home of the GC Chamber of Commerce on Seventh Street), was designed by architect John Russell Pope, who would go on to design the Jefferson Memorial and National Gallery of the Arts.

1911 - Nassau Blvd Field-Tarbell turns down 1st International Airshow over financial issues, they use Belmont Race Track.

1912 – With the success of the Estates development, the Garden City Company engages Gage Tarbell to develop the eastern section of Garden City from Franklin Ave to Clinton Rd and from Old Country Rd to Meadow St. Noted landscape planners who designed the Nassau and Oxford boulevards in the Estates section also develop the grand roadway at Stewart Ave to the east of Franklin Ave.

1912 - William Bradford Turner moves to a home in Garden City on Fourth Street. Later graduates from The Saint Paul's School and Williams College. Is awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroic actions near Ronssoy, France, in 1918. One of six Garden City residents to die in WWI. In 1919 Turner is honored by WWI veterans who name an American Legion post in his honor. 


1913 - Aviation Field #1 established, later named Hazlehurst, then part of Roosevelt Field.


1913 - Nassau Blvd Field forced to close due to noise issues.


1916 – Garden City Country Club opens.

1917 – Curtiss Engineering Plant constructed east of Clinton Road, a R&D-Engineering facility for state-of-the-art aircraft and other projects during WW1.

1917 - Aviation Field #2 established as Army Air Corp Field (later named Mitchel Field).

1917 - Major League Baseball Exhibition Game played at St. Paul’s field, between New York Giants and Chicago White Sox for the troops of the 42nd Rainbow Division, stationed at Camp Mills (formerly Camp Black). These troops would be on steamships bound for France within a month. Two years later, the ‘Black Sox’ World Series scandal enveloped this White Sox team.

1917  Army Air Corps expropriated Aviation Field #1, renames it Hazlehurst Field.


1919  Garden City’s Central, Estates, and East sections come together as the Incorporated Village of Garden City; prior to this event, the community was part of the Town of Hempstead. The new village also holds its first election of Village Trustees. Shortly later the Western section of Garden City joins the Incorporated Village.

1925 - Pulitzer Air Races held at Mitchel Field.


1928 - Architect Olive Tjaden opens Garden City Office. During Tjaden’s lifetime, she either designs or helps build more than 2,000 projects, including churches, civic centers, and commercial buildings. She probably is best known for creating some of the finest homes in Garden City, many replete with flourishes such as formal breakfast rooms or sweeping staircases. One of her most admired elements was her use of stained glass windows, particularly a colorful peacock door designed by her and constructed in England. Kindall, James. "She shaped Garden City style: Architect Olive Tjaden." Newsday 24 Mar. 2017


1935 - West Hempstead to Country Life Press LIRR line ceases operation. 

1939 - Vance ( Medal of Honor WWII) graduated West Point, married a Garden City Women ( St Mary grad) , moved in 365 Stewart Ave, took post at Mitchel Field.


1940  - New apartments ( Hamilton & Second St Hilton- Franklin); expropriated by War Dept for Mitchel Field officers.

1942-1945  - Roosevelt Field expropriated for U.S. Navy aviation.

1943-1945 - Grove Street area of Mitchel Field used for POW detention camp.

1951 - Roosevelt Field closes, had become largest civilian airport in the country.

1961 - Mitchel Field closes.

1973 - Third Garden City Hotel razed. Property remains vacant for 10 years.

1983 - Fourth Garden City Hotel opens. Built by Myron Nelkin.


Cathedral of the Incarnation


Third Garden City Hotel


St. Paul's School

Fourth Garden City Hotel.jpg

Fourth Garden City Hotel